Friday, December 29, 2006

Ordered Fiero LH Front Spindle

Part of my initial design for Neo was to use the Neon's front spindles in the rear. Since the Neon's hub is a 5x100 mm bolt design (not very typical), I needed to decide whether I was going to use a Neon front spindle with some alterations for my design or utilize another spindle that had the same hub bolt pattern. It so happens that spindle for the Chevorlet Chevette and Pontiac Fiero (actually same spindle) has the same bolt pattern and is also a highly respected front spindle when building scratch built cars. The spindle is designed specifically for a RWD car and this fits very well with my utilization of the spindle in the Neo.

I ordered (1) left hand 1986 Fiero front spindle today for $15 and about $10 for S&H. If you don't know about Car-Parts.com check this website out because it links to several "junk yards" (used vehicle parts) around the country and most will ship small to medium parts to you for a reasonable fee.

Why did I order only one? I am going to use the one spindle to get measurements so that I can begin designing the front suspension a-arms. I plan on starting to use Staniforth's string computer technique, but will eventually move to using a software program built to simulate suspension components and their respective measurements in relation to the car and the ground.

1 comment:

Drop Suspension said...

Great idea. I am maximizing all the information I need because I am building my own project of car suspensions. Thanks a lot!